PLAY with CODES
PLAY with PROJECTS
keys: ← →
Guest Access
Register:
Members:

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Should I run this competition?

The Apple Tree Competition - Page 2 Empty100%The Apple Tree Competition - Page 2 Empty 100% [ 1 ]
The Apple Tree Competition - Page 2 Empty0%The Apple Tree Competition - Page 2 Empty 0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 1

Poll closed

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 2 of 8]

Touched by Putin
The Apple Tree Competition - Page 2 Empty The Apple Tree Competition

Onesimus

Onesimus
Touched by Putin
Touched by Putin
^,^
To All members of the underground!
I would like to hold an official competition between the members of Gameface101.
On this thread every week I will post a general logic/ knowledge question.
For one week all participants will have a chance to discus and argue their opinions bellow.
Once you have made up you'r mind post "ANSWER: 'place final answer here.'" (please be specific)
The people with the correct answer will receive credit. For actively discussing you will also receive credit. You could always use Google but that ruins the fun Smile
At the end of the week I will post the answer, and a tally of everyone's credit rating.
Every three weeks I will send the user with the most credit $10AU worth of game credit
(RP, or any other such game credits)

If you have any Questions please ask. Also please vote in the poll as to whether I should run this competition? If you have suggestions post below Smile

!!!Post Segment of FAME!!!
(Past Competition winners that have shown an acute and up to date knowledge of science trivia)

-MotionM
-Mr_wiggles

Last Tri-week comp WINNER: MotionM
This Tri-week comp winner: Mr_wiggles

Tally:

MotionM: 0cr
Mr wiggles: 1cr For Discussion
BluE: 3cr Best Answer
GameFace: 2cr Correct Answer
BlizzardVet: 0cr

Announcement
Unfortunately the prize money scheme will have to stop for some time.

Question for This Week:
Why do two objects with the same shape and size but different weight hit the ground at the same time if dropped from the same height? An example would be dropping two different weighted bowling balls from 5 metres.

!!!This will be edited every week with the new question a tally of your CR!!!
Touched by Putin
signature
Touched by Putin
BliZZvET Re: The Apple Tree Competition 26/3/2012, 7:00 pm
BliZZvET
I agree with mr_wiggles since you are traveling at the speed of light and lets say that the mirror is traveling in the same monorail as you, BUT if there was a another futuristic monorail heading in the "opposite" direction, you would be theoretically moving faster than the speed of light, relative to the you and the other monorail moving in the "opposite" direction. Then I would say that the photons that are traveling at the speed of light, would not be traveling at a fast enough speed the hit the opposite monorail, so conclusively you would not see your reflection in the other monorail, BUT you would see your own reflection in the monorail you are in. Smile
mr_wiggles Re: The Apple Tree Competition 28/3/2012, 4:01 pm
mr_wiggles
Yea, Thanatos5914 brings up a good point, where is the location of the mirror?
BluE Re: The Apple Tree Competition 28/3/2012, 4:51 pm
BluE
Thanatos5914 wrote:I agree with mr_wiggles since you are traveling at the speed of light and lets say that the mirror is traveling in the same monorail as you, BUT if there was a another futuristic monorail heading in the "opposite" direction, you would be theoretically moving faster than the speed of light, relative to the you and the other monorail moving in the "opposite" direction. Then I would say that the photons that are traveling at the speed of light, would not be traveling at a fast enough speed the hit the opposite monorail, so conclusively you would not see your reflection in the other monorail, BUT you would see your own reflection in the monorail you are in. Smile
T-T
I'll come up with an answer like that when I have physics classes next semester. CHEAT! :p
Onesimus Re: The Apple Tree Competition 28/3/2012, 6:29 pm
Onesimus
The mirror is in the monorail you are on. Just to clarify.
BliZZvET Re: The Apple Tree Competition 28/3/2012, 7:18 pm
BliZZvET
Yeah, but basically you cant see your reflection in the opposite monorail. Smile
Onesimus Re: The Apple Tree Competition 29/3/2012, 2:55 am
Onesimus
Guys Announcement!

I will be away till the 6th so here is a bonus question to keep you occupied. It will not count toward the competition since there is no right or wrong answer. I will tally up the results and post another question when I get back.

Question

If there were portals that sent you back in time, that were stable, and you went back and shot through the portal your past self (who invented and opened the portal in the first place). What would happen?
mr_wiggles Re: The Apple Tree Competition 29/3/2012, 3:18 pm
mr_wiggles

If there were portals that sent you back in time, that were stable, and you went back and shot through the portal your past self (who invented and opened the portal in the first place). What would happen?

to clarify your question.. I, being the person that created the portal, has a gun and shoots through the portal of time. The bullet then exits through the portal in the past and happens to hit me.

So.. it would be kinda like "sweet i finished the time machine, now lets turn it on!" *flips switch and then a bullet flies out and kills me*

I know that this is a question to test our thinking abilities but i just cant get past the fact that i made a time machine and the first thing i do is shoot a gun at it to see what happens and then end up accidentally killing my past self. :p lol

Well i guess one would look at it in this way, that if i died before i was able to live long enough into the future to kill myself, that i wouldn't be able to kill myself because i already did kill myself.

[Answer]
BUT you didn't specify how i died. So lets say that i was working on the machine and i turn it on and i got shot by a bullet that flew out of the machine randomly, bleeding badly and confused i grab a gun and return fire, which causes the bullet to travel back in time and hit me in the first place. I then bleed out and die.
BluE Re: The Apple Tree Competition 29/3/2012, 5:22 pm
BluE
If I did shoot myself through the time portal and I died, I would create a paradox. I kill myself in the past, but then I can't fire the shot in the future. Perhaps quantum physics would kick in and I would or wouldn't be dead.
In the event that I shoot myself and I don't die, my future self would suddenly have a memory of being hit by some rando bullet from the time machine and then going "Ahhh!" when I realise I shot myself.
What is also possible is I travel through time again (so there are 3 of me) and stop myself from shooting myself.
mr_wiggles Re: The Apple Tree Competition 29/3/2012, 5:43 pm
mr_wiggles
Yea, but say that due to the shock of getting shot seemingly "random" would you be able to make the connection that you shot yourself and not that your shooting into a portal without a clue that your shooting yourself?

To set the scenario say your deeply involved with your work, making great progress. Suddenly that trans is broken by bullets whizzing by and one happens to hit you. Frightened that something is trying to kill you you try to defend yourself and shoot back. Perhaps afterwards while you lay bleeding on the floor questioning the current events you "might" realize that it was you shooting back in time. The memory of doing that wont apply to your past self because the memory that was created exists in the future.

If your helpless on the ground how do you go back?

[edit] I see, the question never said if you died or not.
Onesimus Re: The Apple Tree Competition 7/4/2012, 2:57 am
Onesimus
Now that I'm back here is this weeks tally + Question!

Answer: If you could see your reflection, it would mean light was travelling at the speed of light inside the train. But that meant the same light observed from outside the train would be going twice the speed of light. You must see your reflection but that light must travel at the same speed inside and outside the train. The only way this is possible is if time travelled slower on the train. So if we were travelling at the speed of light the time on the train would stop. And for some one outside the train to see the reflection the train would have to contract in the direction it is moving. Meaning the length of the train will become zero and our mass would become infinite.

If you don it get it here is a neat video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVKFBaaL4uM&feature=channel

Tally

M: 3cr + 0cr
Mr Wiggles: 2cr + 2cr for correct anwser.
BluE: 2cr + 1cr for discussion
Thanatos:3cr For best answer

!!! QUESTION FOR THE WEEK !!!

A red liquid is pored into hole at the top a 0.5m by 0.5m box. A blue liquid pores out of a nozzle located in the centre of the side of the box that is facing you. There fore when the red liquid is pored in blue liquid almost instantly pores out.
How does this work? Find the simplest way for this process to happen and post below.
Sponsored content Re: The Apple Tree Competition 

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 8]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Chatbox system disabled
Personal messaging disabled